Who can take the class?
- Highly motivated 8th graders with outstanding grades and fantastic attendance;
- Students interested in the language and culture of the ancient Romans;
- Students motivated to earn additional credits for high school: this class earns credit towards graduation.
- The class is a level one Latin language class;
- The students read passages appropriate for their level; the students comprehend spoken Latin; the students write accurate translations; the students write in Latin;
- The students demonstrate an understanding of perspectives, practices and products of the Greco-Roman culture; the students interpret cultural practices of the Romans;
- The students reinforce and further the knowledge of other disciplines through Latin; the students acquire information and recognize distinctive viewpoints via the study of Latin and the Greco-Roman civilizations.
- The first day of class will be Monday, August 15;
- The year-long class will meet Monday through Thursday from 8:00 to 9:00 am;
- Fridays will be reserved for Latin Club OR for make-up, and occasionally for class should the need arise;
- The last day of class, and the final exam, for FALL semester will be 7:30-9:00 on Monday, December 19
- The last day of class, and the final exam, for SPRING semester will be 7:30-9:00 on Monday, May 18.
What does the class entail?
When does the class meet?
- Complete the ECMS Latin Class Application
- Please ask a teacher you know well to follow the link here and fill out the rec for you: Teacher Recommendation
- Final 8th grade report card or middle school transcript: email to Mr. Ward or drop off in the ECMS main office.