Who can take the class?
- Highly motivated 8th graders with outstanding grades and fantastic attendance;
- Students interested in the language and culture of the ancient Romans;
- Students motivated to earn an additional credit for high school: this class earns credit towards graduation;
What is this class?
- The class is a level one Latin language class;
- The students read passages appropriate for their level; the students comprehend spoken Latin; the students write accurate translations; the students write in Latin;
- The students demonstrate an understanding of perspectives, practices and products of the Greco-Roman culture; the students interpret cultural practices of the Romans;
- The students reinforce and further the knowledge of other disciplines through Latin; the students acquire information and recognize distinctive viewpoints via the study of Latin and the Greco-Roman civilizations.
- The first day of class will be Monday, August 14;
- It is a year-long class, which will meet Monday through Thursday from 8:00 to 9:00 am;
- Fridays will be reserved for Latin Club and as a make-up day, and occasionally for class should the need arise;
- The last day of class, and the final exam, for FALL semester will be 7:30-9:00 on Monday, December 18
- The last day of class, and the final exam, for SPRING semester will be 7:30-9:00 on Friday, May 18.
How do I apply?
- Complete the ECMS Latin Class Application;
- Please ask a teacher you know well to this recommendation for you: Teacher Recommendation ;
- Email the Final 7th grade report card or middle school transcript to Mr. Ward (firstname.lastname@example.org).